Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Paris Hilton Vs Saving the Planet



I am at home on my computer today and was reading the latest H&M magazine on the internet. An article in the magazine asks, "Why are girls nowadays more interested in Paris Hilton and what she is wearing in a Movie Premier than how to save the world?

I have to admit I am one of those girls albeit I am not so interested in Paris' latest fling, I would be first to admit that I'd gravitate quicker to a Cosmo Magazine than a Save the World newsletter any day. When I go shopping, I would go cheaper and not so much think about going green. So, it is definitely not yet in my immediate consciousness to save the world.

In Malaysia, the place I am currently residing, people only recycle what is of value. A lorry would come to my housing area once or twice a week with the loudspeaker announcing, "Old Newspapers. Old CDs. Old scrap metals." When we have accumulated enough of such "valuable" trash, we would sell to this guy and get some money out of it. But is this enough? What happens to other garbage in the house? Plastic bottles and Styrofoams that has no biodegradability gets binned without a second thought.

There are slightly more awareness in the developed countries such as America and New Zealand. We have to sort out our garbage into little green recycling bins. So, cardboard boxes that holds our food products, plastic bottles, and jars that holds sauces all get recycled. It's amazing how many things can get recycled and I didn't even know could get recycled. I really liked that my flat-mates and I took recycling very seriously and played our part.

I reckon it is easier for people in the west to recycle as the government has already set up the infrastructure and services for people to recycle. Still, we can make a difference in Malaysia as well. How... you may ask. Well, I know of Non-profit organizations like Tzu Chi (Buddhist Org) that are collecting almost everything under the sun that are recyclable. My family has donated old candle stands, to old computer, clothes, plastic containers, glass jars and countless other things to them. So we are not only donating to the organization itself but we are also help saving the world. It really does feel good to make a difference.

So, ladies, give Paris Hilton her space and please do your part in this saving the world movement. It is really just as easy as putting an extra dustbin in your house (for recyclables) or just turning the computer of when you are not using it. It is really not going to break a fingernail at all.

As for me, I am going to pay more attention to Save the World newsletters next time I go to a bookstore and also recycle the Cosmopolitan Magazines that I am reading. Promise! :)

Cheers!

No comments: