Monday, June 30, 2008

Thorns on My Rear?



Picture of the Week: Babes stranded over water



I wish to learn to love
the Thorns in my rear



I am trying to get out of the belief system that "I can only make money in this world with a 9-5 job." This belief has dictated my life since I was young as society would say, Study Hard, go to university, get a good job to make heaps of money. I want to follow that social norm and just be happy but I can't seem to sit in an office for 8 hours. A 9-5 job seems so boring and just not a good use of time. I find that my time is better spent doing several things at once. Right now, I am assisting my mum at her Trading House business and I am also helping my dad start his Management Service business. At the same time, my friend, Jaime, and I are at the planning stage of putting on a Teen Grooming Seminar in Melaka. I feel so alive being engaged in so many levels "at work."

I am sure many people find their jobs/careers highly satisfying and purposeful and if it so happens to be a 9-5 job, good on you! I have tried being in a job, and God knows I have tried, but something just doesn't feel right having a life that is so predictable. I keep thinking that life doesn't have to be this way. Ideally, I would like to dictate my own timetable. I would like to take a vacation anytime I want, and live the life that I designed.

To make such a bold move, I have to admit was not without challenge. There were and are insecurities about not having a month-to-month paycheck. I am also feeling a bit stressed that I am 27 years old now and have not "done much" in society's standards. My list of achievements includes finishing a degree in the longest time possible (I was working full-time and studying full-time), travels to about 10 countries thus far, many solo trips of self discovery, picking up weird skills, meeting countless awesome people,...and so on. So, my "success" has been not as typical and as measurable as say a well-paid job, a husband, 2 and 1/2 children, plus a car and a house.

In the end of the day, I have to examine what I believe about life and what I truly want out of it. The road that societal expectation has laid out for me isn't working out and I have to be honest myself. So, I would like to pay heed to my Auntie Dehyana's words of wisdom - "do what you love and the money will follow" and "have faith" that the universe will not let me starve to death when I am "following my bliss."

I hope. *prays*

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

Finding your purpose in life is a challenge most people see, but never really face. Some people are very happy in the 9-5, but others do it so that they can have the everything else that is of importance. Determining what is important to you, in the here and now and in the future and trying to make all things achievable is to me the key to or the "pursuit of happyness".

Sarah said...

I too, am without an atypical resume and have not been in a job longer than a year since finishing university. I too, stuggled with the 'what have i achieved' when pinning my life against societal norms. I have a wealth of experience travelling and as a people-person I have been satiated by the may personalities I have met in hostels and immersing myself in foreign cultures. Right now, I have a 9-5 and have no intention of staying this way. Just remember if you align your achievements by the rules of others, you are cheapening yourself. Congratulations for embracing yourself and never be worried by status quo.